The Minister responsible for SaskTel says there have been very preliminary discussions with private sector businesses about the possibility of a partnership with the Crown Corporation.
Dustin Duncan says they are at the beginning of any discussions with possible business partners and they may end up being nothing.
It wouldn’t be a situation which would need Bill 40, Duncan stresses.
That’s the controversial Bill passed last spring where up to 49 per cent of the shares of a Crown Corporation could be sold, leaving the government with the majority 51 per cent.
Duncan says there has been some work done to identify different corporate structures and what the tax implications would be, but that was the only detail he could give.
These comments came as SaskTel tabled its annual report which showed strong financial results, with gross revenues exceeding $1.2-billion.