Safety during the holiday season and being prepared are key essentials at this time of year.
Harry Wilkins with Yorkton Fire Protective Services warns people of the dangers of having a live tree.
“The biggest issue is making sure that it is fully watered at all times and that tree is not getting dried out.” Wilkins said.
Another danger is the burning of the wrong type of wood in fireplaces. Wilkins advises people to only use and burn dry seasoned wood, because other wood such as green wood can cause issues and doesn’t burn well.
The use of candles is a hot topic over the holiday season but can also cause high threat of spreading fire.
Wilkins urges residents to take the extra caution when lighting candles and make sure they are out, and not smoking, before leaving the candles unattended.
Wilkins would also like to wish everyone a safe and happy holiday from everyone at the Yorkton Fire Hall.