A Yorkton Court of Queen’s Bench judge has ruled that Christ the Teacher Catholic School Division and the province must pay Good Spirit School Division’s legal bills in the longstanding dispute over Theodore School.
The public school was scheduled to close in June of 2003, but residents of the community were successful in converting it to a Catholic school by September of 2003, and it remains open to this day.
Justice Donald Layh recently ruled that the public school division is entitled to nearly 960-thousand dollars in legal costs.
The province has been ordered to pay 70 percent of the bill, while the Catholic school division is on the hook for the other 30 percent.
The Catholic School Boards of Saskatchewan and the province are in the process of appealing the judge’s original decision, that Catholic schools should not receive funding for non-Catholic students.