Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe sat down with the media today (Mon), following the verdict in the Gerald Stanley trial.
On Friday (Feb. 9), a jury found the 56-year-old Stanley not guilty of 2nd-degree murder in the 2016 killing of Boushie, a 22-year-old member of the Red Pheasant First Nation.
He says everyone should respect the decision of the jury as well as being respectful of any potential future proceedings.
“However we can be respectful of that decision while also having conversations and a very open dialogue as we moved forward,” Moe said during his opening statements. “A dialogue that ensures concerns are being listened to; a dialogue that highlights the need for all families living in both rural and urban Saskatchewan to feel safe.”
Moe says he has had conversations with community leaders, First Nations leaders and even with members of Colten Boushie’s family.
“My message to them was ‘I listened’,” he said of his hours-long conversation with the family that also included Justice Minister Don Morgan. “Listened to them [and their] experience over the last year-and-a-half, and it was a good meeting.”
Boushie’s family members are in Ottawa to call for changes to Canada’s justice system.
The verdict caused people from across the province to weigh in on the high profile case.
The Premier admits moving forward is not going to be easy.
“These are difficult discussions for us to have; there’s no one answer and there are no easy answers, but how we get to any answer at all is to ensure we can continue to keep that dialogue open with our leaders across this province – Aboriginal and otherwise.”