It all started in 1927 when the Winnipeg Grain Exchange decided to establish a radio station that would give farmers of SK and MB the latest in grain and livestock prices. Yorkton was chosen with the approval of the Yorkton and District Board of Trade. A broadcasting license in hand, Mr. Dawson Richardson opened a radio studio in Yorkton in the Collacott Block. The transmitter, located near the city water tower at King and Laurier, was erected by James Logan.
On August 19, 1927, the station went on the air. Mel Poulter was the studio manager and the first announcer. The call letters and official name of the station was CJGX, the GX indicating this relationship to the Grain Exchange. At first the station broadcasted only grain and livestock prices, because advertising was not solicited. Later, along with the grain prices, the station schedule consisted of local talent, local news, recorded music and information on grain and livestock. On Sundays, it broadcast church services with different denominations taking turns airing their services.
In 1934, Dawson Richardson became the sole owner of the station, when the federal government took over the control of the grain marketing. In 1939, the business was re-organized and president F.K. Tully and a commitee of local businessmen took over and formed the Yorkton Broadcasting Company with Les Garside appointed manager of the station. The power of the station was increased to 1,000 watts.
During the war, the station played a vital role in giving listeners up to date news on the war and providing emergency information. It also assisted in fund raising for various wartime campaigns. In 1945 a new transmitter was built at what is now the junction of Highways 9 and 10. With this new transmitter, the power of the station was increased again and the station moved to 940 on the dial.
The station studios moved to a new location on Broadway, on the second floor of the old Smith and McKay block. When, in 1957, the building was destroyed by fire, temporary studios were set up in the Dr. Brass Auditorium of the Yorkton Collegiate. On the completion of the Tower Theatre building on 2nd Ave. GX established studios in this new building. With the move into the new building the power of the station was increased to 10,000 watts in daytime, and further increased in 1963 to 10,000 watts both day and night.
In 1956, shareholders of Yorkton Broadcasting Company sold the station to George Gallagher, Ed Laurence and Merv Philips. During those years, listeners will remember Ed Laurence and Clarence the Crow on the Morning Show. Facing 2nd Ave. Ed would entertain listeners with remarks about the people passing by.
In 1981 CJGX started plans for a new four story building at the corner of Smith and 7th Ave. The station studios and administration offices are now located on the 4th floor. In 1989 George Gallagher became sole owner of the station. In 1991 a new transmitter was built, giving the station a daytime power of 50,000 watts.
Jumping to 2012, GX94 celebrated 85 years and is currently owned by Harvard Broadcasting. GX94 is one of the oldest stations in Saskatchewan and looks forward to being a part of your community, family and home for many more years to come!