Alberta Premier Danielle Smith says separatists who are upset that a binding vote on quitting Canada has been put off should focus on the province’s fall referendum — rather than campaigning to force a review of her job.
Smith announced in a televised address Thursday that a question on the Oct. 19 referendum will ask Albertans if they want to remain in Canada or start the process to hold a binding referendum on separation.
The move has been widely criticized, especially by those in Alberta’s separatist movement. Many had been counting on Smith to directly put separation on a ballot, after a judge last week threw out a petition looking to force such a vote.
Jeff Rath, a lawyer for the petition group Stay Free Alberta, called Smith’s move a betrayal for thousands of United Conservative Party members who have supported her.
He said he expects many will now call for a special meeting to review her leadership.
“It’s time for Danielle Smith to go,” Rath said on social media Friday.
Smith, speaking to reporters, defended her referendum question, saying the court ruling left her with “no other option.”
She has promised to appeal the decision but said it could take years. The fall referendum still gives Albertans a chance to have their say and gives her government the direction it needs, Smith said.
Asked if she’s worried about her job, the premier said those who want a binding separation vote should put their efforts toward winning in October.
“There’s two options: option one is to vote to remain in Canada; option two is to start the legal process to leave Canada. And I would say that those who want to go with option two should focus their efforts on that, and I will be focusing my efforts on ‘remain.’
“I will honour the outcome, and I would hope that they would honour the outcome as well.”
Smith said she’d consider a result over 50 per cent to be a sufficient majority.
UCP spokesperson Dave Prisco didn’t answer questions about whether there have been calls from constituency associations to hold a leadership review.
He said Smith enjoys strong support both outside and inside the party, citing her 91.5 per cent approval rating in a 2024 leadership review.
“We are shattering all-time fundraising records, pulling in 2 1/2 times what the NDP raised last quarter, and drawing sellout crowds at events across the province,” said Prisco. “You only see results like that when you have a strong leader with overwhelming support.”
A virtual town hall, for UCP members only, was scheduled for Saturday, according to the party’s website.
Fallout out from the referendum announcement continued Friday from all sides, with business groups, Alberta mayors and a fellow premier all saying that even a referendum that contemplates separation as a future probability is a bad idea.
“I’d never do it,” said Ontario Premier Doug Ford. “Premier Smith knows how I feel. She wants to, I guess, protect her 30 per cent base. It’s not going to win, as far as I’m concerned.”
Calgary Mayor Jeromy Farkas said calling a referendum about having a future referendum shows “a ridiculous lack of provincial leadership” and will weaken investor and economic certainty.
Smith said she can’t ignore hundreds of thousands of Albertans who signed two petitions on the issue.
Stay Free Alberta said its petition calling for a separation referendum had 300,000 signatures, although it hasn’t been verified. A successful pro-Canada petition gathered more than 400,000 signatures last year.
“It’s why we need to resolve this question once and for all to the satisfaction of the 700,000 people who signed a petition,” Smith said.
She denied she’s to blame for the position Alberta’s in.
She pointed to past federal governments and politicians in other provinces who have opposed developing the fossil fuels her province’s coffers rely on as the reason why a chunk of Albertans are dead set on going it alone.
“That is the reason we are having this crisis right now.”
Smith said she’s trying to find the solution and heralded Alberta’s recent energy deal with Prime Minister Mark Carney that aims to build a new bitumen pipeline to the West Coast.
Carney didn’t directly mention Smith’s referendum when speaking with reporters Friday but insisted the country can be improved by working closely with Alberta on his economic agenda.
He also talked up the energy agreement with Alberta and his efforts with other premiers to build up critical infrastructure.
“Canada is working,” Carney said. “We’re working in the spirit of co-operative federalism to make the country better.”
Corey Hogan, one of two Alberta members of Parliament in Carney’s caucus, was more direct.
Smith’s “internal political problems have become our national crisis,” he said.
Hogan also criticized Smith for twice amending Alberta’s citizen-initiated referendum process to aid separatists.
Alberta Opposition NDP Leader Naheed Nenshi said despite Smith’s expressed support for federalism, he doesn’t expect she’ll lift a finger to keep the country together.
Her referendum will be economically destabilizing and socially divisive, Nenshi added. He pledged to spend the summer defending Confederation.
Nenshi also said the “never-endum” won’t be over in October. Because it isn’t a definitive question, the issue won’t be put to rest.
“For Danielle Smith to say, ‘Oh, you wanted a referendum’ — not only is it lies, not only is it gaslighting, it treats Albertans like they’re idiots. And Albertans are not idiots.“
Several campaigns quickly sprouted to rally Albertans around Canada.
Former Alberta premier Jason Kenney and former federal Conservative cabinet minister Monte Solberg have joined forces as part of Vote to Stay, which is to hold events over the coming months.
Federal Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre also said he and his caucus would be campaigning for a stay vote.
Some First Nations have condemned the referendum. Allan Adam, chief of Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation, said he’s considering it a win.
Adam was part of the court challenge against the separatist petition that was thrown out for a lack of Indigenous consultation. He said a possible binding separation vote now seems far away and sends separatists back to the drawing board.
“The whole thing is a waste of time and money,” said Adam.
Smith’s proposed question becomes the 10th in the referendum. The other questions, announced in February, ask about immigration reform and constitutional concerns.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 22, 2026.
— With files from Lisa Johnson in Edmonton, Dayne Patterson in Calgary and Kyle Duggan in Ottawa
Jack Farrell, The Canadian Press










