Now that the snow is melting, SGI has released tips to ensure your property and possessions are protected from water damage.
- Rake remaining snow off your roof.
- Check your eavestroughs and gutters for signs of ice dams and/or remove debris that could slow the flow of water.
- Shovel snow away from the foundation of your home.
- Check the grading in the yard to see that it is sloping away from the foundation, allowing melt water to lead away from your home.
- Extend your downspouts away from the home by at least two meters.
- Check your backwater prevention valve on the main line of your sewer, if your home has one – is it in working condition?
- Check on your sump pump and pit to make sure everything is in good condition and ready for melt water.
- Check your basement regularly for signs of water.
- Check that storm sewer grates in your neighbourhood are clear of debris.
- Items stored in your basement should not sit directly on your basement floor and plastic watertight containers would help protect your items from water damage.
- Don’t store irreplaceable or valuable items in your basement.
SGI Spokesman Tyler McMurchy says at this point, they have not seen a significant number of claims – 21 over the past week compared to 10 the previous week.
More tips can be found on SGI’s website.