LA LOCHE — The official groundbreaking to mark the start of NexGen Energy’s $2.2-billion Rook I uranium mine project attracted a who’s who of dignitaries and big names last week.
The many dignitaries who made the long journey to the Rook I site, 160 kilometres north of La Loche, on Aug. 13 included Stephen Harper, Canada’s 22nd prime minister; Buckley Belanger, secretary of state for rural development and member of Parliament for Desnethé—Missinippi—Churchill River; Métis Nation–Saskatchewan president Glen McCallum; and Métis Nation–Saskatchewan Local 39 president Keith Shewchuk.
Former prime minister Harper posted this on the X platform about the groundbreaking event:
“This is an exciting, globally significant project for Saskatchewan and for Canada. When completed, Rook 1 will deliver 20% of the world’s uranium supply with lasting economic benefit for the community and beyond. My congratulations to the entire team at @NexGenEnergy_ for reaching this exciting milestone.”
Leaders from the government of Saskatchewan also took to social media to express their enthusiasm.
“A groundbreaking day for Saskatchewan,” Premier Scott Moe posted on the X platform.
“The Rook I Project means new opportunities for Saskatchewan workers and real benefits for northern and Indigenous communities through jobs, careers, local business development, and long-term wealth creation.
“Congratulations to NexGen on this important milestone and on the partnerships helping to create new opportunities and a stronger future for communities across the North.
“It's an investment in people, opportunity, and Saskatchewan's energy and economic security for generations to come.”
In Moe’s remarks at the event, which he also posted on social media, he said:
“This project right here beneath our feet, work that has gone into this project over the course of the last decade, and the work that remains, represents Saskatchewan’s ability to provide that energy security and ultimately that sovereignty to so many nations, including our own. NexGen’s Rook I project will be a significant contributor to global requirements for clean, reliable, affordable nuclear energy. The significance of this project to Saskatchewan, to Canada, to the world, but most importantly to those who live right here, cannot be undersold.”
Darlene Rowden, MLA for Batoche and environment minister, posted this on social media:
“Great to be north of La Loche at the NexGen Rook 1 groundbreaking ceremony with Premier Scott Moe, Hon. Jeremy Harrison, former Prime Minister Stephen Harper, company leadership and area Chiefs and Mayors. The Rook 1 uranium mine will be one of the largest built in the world, using groundbreaking environmental standards and practices. The timeline to build this incredible site is 4 years with lots happening already…
“Exciting news for Saskatchewan, Canada and the NW area of the province.”
Harrison is minister of Crown Investments Corporation.
Former premier Brad Wall was also at the groundbreaking, and he also was enthusiastic in posting about the project on social media soon afterward.
“Great to see old friends and former colleagues at the @NexGenEnergy_ ground breaking yesterday at La Loche. More jobs for Sask, more investment for Sask, more energy for the world.”
NexGen Energy says that, once completed, the uranium mine project will produce approximately 30 million pounds of uranium annually. The company estimates the project could directly or indirectly contribute to 1,400 jobs in Saskatchewan.










