MOOSE JAW — Local leaders say the federal government’s announcement on the future of the Snowbirds finally brings long-awaited clarity, even as concerns remain about a lengthy hiatus for the iconic air demonstration team.
“I think it's encouraging to have more information, more clarity on the future of the Snowbirds,” said Tim McLeod, Saskatchewan’s minister of justice and attorney general.
McLeod was at Tuesday’s announcement by Defence Minister David McGuinty, who confirmed the Department of National Defence will procure CT-157 Siskin II (Pilatus PC-21) aircraft for the Snowbirds.
The minister also confirmed that after 55 years, 2026 will mark the final season for the Snowbirds’ current fleet of CT-114 Tutor aircraft.
The new fleet is not expected to be operational until the 2030s. While the Snowbirds will be on hiatus following next season, McGuinty assured those in attendance that Moose Jaw will remain home to the new Snowbirds fleet well into the future.
That news was welcomed by McLeod, who is also the MLA for Moose Jaw North.
“Of course, the Snowbirds is an iconic part of our culture and our identity, but particularly being one of the two MLAs from Moose Jaw, this is very near and dear to my heart. So, reassuring to know that the Snowbirds will continue, and that they will continue right here in Moose Jaw.”
The announcement comes after weeks of speculation and uncertainty about the future of the Snowbirds. McLeod said he had personally spoken with the federal minister and expressed the province’s concerns.
“Of course, my colleagues and I wrote to the federal minister as well, indicating that this was of very high importance to us, both individually as the representatives from this area, but also as a provincial government. And the Minister responded quite positively.”
One area of concern had been the interim period between the retirement of the current Snowbirds fleet and the arrival of the new aircraft.
“Of course, we're concerned here. That was one of the questions that we have been pursuing a clear answer to, is what happens to the pilots, the technicians, of course, all of the jobs that surround the Snowbirds fleet and squadron,” McLeod said.
“And we've been assured that efforts are being made to make sure that those individuals will stay right here in the community because they are a part of our community and we want to see that stay.”
Moose Jaw Mayor James Murdock was also at 15 Wing for the announcement, which he said “does bring reassurance that the long-standing tradition of the Snowbirds will continue for generations to come.”
But Murdock said he hopes the Snowbirds’ hiatus will be as short as possible.
“I really do hope that the procurement aspect does move at a light-speed pace because the Snowbirds are cherished by our entire nation and they define us as who Canadians are and what Canada does.”
As for what his encouragement would be to local residents during this transition period, Murdock said it was “very reassuring from the Minister that the Snowbirds will continue to call Moose Jaw home.”
“That's very important. This really is the only community that they do belong in as their headquarters and to be based out of. So, you know, the Snowbirds are very cherished here in our community and we appreciate everything that they do for our city of Moose Jaw and we look forward to, you know, the coming years and decades.”
Murdock described the announcement as a “positive” one, while acknowledging it “may be difficult … to understand right now that things are concluding for the Snowbirds airshow-wise” following next year.
He said the city will “continue to monitor and, you know, look forward to having open, active discussions with the Ministry of Defence to see at what pace procurement is moving on.”
Murdock acknowledged there was no firm timeline from the minister on how soon procurement could happen for the new planes “other than that they are going to move at a very quick pace.”
“Just as he acknowledged with the submarine purchases for our Arctic North … that that procurement was about a six-month process, I would dearly like to see the Snowbirds procurement maybe be a three-month process. But we will stay on top of this to see at what pace things are moving for that purchase to happen.”
The Opposition New Democrats also released a statement Tuesday following the announcement. Their caucus military liaison Hugh Gordon said he was “glad that the Federal Government has confirmed that the Snowbirds will continue to be based at 15 Wing Moose Jaw.”
Gordon said they would “always support necessary improvements and upgrades to ensure that pilots and team members are safe,” but added they would “urge the federal government and Minister McGuinty to be prompt in acquiring these new aircraft so people across Canada can go back to enjoying a true Saskatchewan treasure.”
“Saskatchewan and the community of Moose Jaw have a deep connection to the beloved Snowbirds that go back generations. While we are excited to see new improvements to the fleet, it is crucial that the Snowbirds are up and running as soon as possible.”
The least enthusiastic reaction Tuesday came from Moose Jaw-Lake Centre-Lanigan MP Fraser Tolmie, who for weeks had expressed fears both inside and outside the House of Commons that the Snowbirds were about to be grounded.
According to a post on X Tuesday afternoon, Tolmie said the federal announcement confirmed what he had already been warning about regarding the Snowbirds’ future.
“I did a video on this a few days ago. I hate being right,” Tolmie posted.
“They’re grounding the Snowbirds until the 2030s & are replacing them with the wrong aircraft. While these planes are grounded, we'll lose years of institutional knowledge. We might never get it back. Save our Snowbirds!”










