REGINA — It may have been the first week provincial politicians were away from the Legislative Assembly since the session concluded last week, but it was nevertheless an important week packed with news affecting Saskatchewan.
Some of those provincial impacts stemmed from federal announcements, including Tuesday’s news in Moose Jaw that the current fleet of Snowbirds aircraft will be grounded after this air show season.
The CT-114 Tutor aircraft will be retired, with Defence Minister David McGuinty confirming the government is procuring CT-157 Siskin II aircraft, although those planes are not expected to arrive until after 2030.
The announcement at 15 Wing Moose Jaw was attended by Moose Jaw and area MLAs Tim McLeod, Megan Patterson and Blaine McLeod.
Speaking to reporters, Tim McLeod said it was “reassuring to know that the Snowbirds will continue, and that they will continue right here in Moose Jaw.” He also confirmed he had written to the federal minister on the issue before the announcement.
That was one major announcement affecting the province on Tuesday. The other was news that Information Services Corporation is being sold to Plenary Americas in an all-cash transaction valued at $1.2 billion.
The province had previously passed legislation strengthening Golden Share protections requiring ISC’s head office, jobs and intellectual property to remain in Saskatchewan. Minister responsible for Crown Investments Corporation Jeremy Harrison said the province expects to receive approximately $277 million from the sale, with proceeds directed toward health-care infrastructure projects.
The announcement was sharply criticized by the Opposition NDP. Opposition critic Aleana Young accused the government of “opening the door to massive fee hikes by out of province investors” and questioned whether existing legislation adequately protects Saskatchewan ownership data from being sold or merged with other datasets.
At a Wednesday news conference, Young and Health critic Meara Conway also launched OpenTheBooks.ca, a website platform intended to allow public servants to report alleged waste, corruption, political interference and coverups within government.
“If you are sick of the lies, if you are sick of political insiders putting this province at risk so that they can get ahead, if you are sick and tired of seeing the public kept in the dark, come forward,” Young said. “Scott Moe does not own this province, the people of Saskatchewan, until Saskatchewan people know the full truth of what is going on behind closed doors.”
Other political activity this week focused heavily on agriculture, transportation, housing and health care.
On Wednesday, Premier Scott Moe attended the ribbon-cutting ceremony officially opening Cargill’s Regina canola crush facility. Moe said on social media the facility would bring “100 new good-paying jobs and a stronger Saskatchewan economy.”
Meanwhile, government ministers focused on several funding announcements throughout the week. On May 20, Highways Minister Kim Gartner announced more than $2 million in infrastructure improvements for nine community airports through the Community Airport Partnership program, including nearly $935,000 in provincial funding.
In Prince Albert, Social Services Minister Terry Jenson and Mental Health and Addictions Minister Lori Carr attended the opening of 21 new sober-living spaces for people recovering from addictions.
The project includes four single-detached homes and came through a partnership between the Ministry of Social Services, Ministry of Health, Oxford House Saskatchewan and the City of Prince Albert, according to the provincial government.
Meanwhile, the Opposition NDP continued its focus on health-care concerns this week.
On Tuesday in Saskatoon, Associate Health Shadow Minister Keith Jorgenson criticized the closure of LifeLabs locations during the Victoria Day long weekend after learning urgent blood work ordered by his doctor could not be completed.
The issue came to Jorgenson’s attention, he said, after his doctor ordered urgent blood tests for him. When Jorgenson attempted to book the tests, he learned all LifeLabs locations were closed. He also said those answering the 811 health line had only just learned about the closures themselves.
“This was my very frustrating and scary interaction with the healthcare system, but I know I’m far from alone,” Jorgenson said in a statement. “This is the reality playing out on the frontlines of emergency rooms, clinics and on the streets of our communities day in and day out after 20 years of the Sask. Party.”
Action on hospital safety also became a major topic this week.
On Thursday, the provincial government announced the Ministry of Health had contracted Buckingham Security Services Ltd. to conduct an independent review of hospital safety and security under the leadership of former Saskatoon police chief and former Saskatchewan chief coroner Clive Weighill.
The six-month review is expected to examine current practices and provide recommendations to improve safety for patients, visitors and staff across Saskatchewan Health Authority facilities following several recent incidents involving weapons being seized at hospitals.
“Our government is committed to ensuring the safety of both patients and health care workers,” Health Minister Jeremy Cockrill said in a statement. “Steps have already been taken in several facilities across the province and are showing positive results. The review being conducted by Clive Weighill will inform further enhancements to safety in hospitals throughout our province.”
At the same time, the NDP accused the Saskatchewan Health Authority of issuing what it described as a “gag order” preventing hospital staff from documenting confiscated weapons without written approval from management.
The Opposition said a Feb. 9 memo instructed SHA security staff not to photograph confiscated weapons unless management approved it in writing.
“The only thing this directive protects is Scott Moe and his government from accountability for what’s happening in our hospitals,” said NDP labour critic Nathaniel Teed. “The Sask Party is more focused on covering up the chaos in hospitals and silencing the voices of workers than fixing healthcare.”
The week also included another Saskatchewan Party nomination announcement, with the party confirming Ken Cheveldayoff as its candidate for Saskatoon Willowgrove in the next provincial election.
“Great to see so many Saskatchewan Party supporters last night as we nominated Ken Cheveldayoff to be our candidate in Saskatoon Willowgrove,” Moe posted on X. “Ken will soon be joined by many other great SaskParty candidates as we work to earn the support of Saskatoon Willowgrove in the next election.”










